In 1950, the Brevard Street Methodist congregation voted to move to the new location. The site chosen was a six-acre lot on Albemarle Road (Central Avenue today). The Charlotte Mission Society assisted the congregation in the purchase of this new property.
The name of the newly relocated church was changed from Brevard Street Methodist to Memorial Methodist Church.
The first building erected at Memorial Methodist Church was completed in March 1954 (with the first worship services held on March 21, 1954.) Today, that current structure is still in use and is known as the Memorial East Wing. Approximately one year later, the Munday Fellowship Hall was finished. The administrative building containing the current sanctuary, offices, and additional classrooms was completed in 1959. Lastly, an addition was made to this building in 1966 to add more classroom space and an additional Fellowship Hall in the basement.
After more than sixty years at Memorial’s present location, the church has seen a large demographic shift within the church’s community. What was once predominantly a mainly Caucasian neighborhood being an ethnic mixture of Hispanics, Asians, Caucasians, and African Americans. The church is an essential part of this neighborhood and is a community resource. In addition to being the worship home for three different languages: English, Spanish & Jarai; Memorial UMC has a community Preschool, Hobby and crafting groups, a talented Choir, United Methodist Women and Men’s groups, Spiritual Yoga and Zumba Classes and is home to the Emerald School and A Place for Heroes.